For children 6 weeks to 18 months, our emphasis is on providing:
- Individualized, culturally responsive care
- A safe and healthy environment
- Rich language experiences
- Generous allowance for child mobility and messy play
- Mental and physical challenges
- Frequent outdoor exposure
The most important ingredients in good care for babies are the quality of the staff who work with the children and the overall quality of the environment. Infants will not be confined, but will be permitted freedom of movement and provided with an environment that encourages them to roll, reach, creep, and crawl. Developmentally appropriate materials are widely available, such as cuddly toys, textural areas, objects to explore, push and pull toys, books, simple puzzles, and stacking toys. Music, singing, and finger plays are introduced throughout the day. Infants are never left in cribs or highchairs without staff supervision and stimulation.